Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th forecast: Continued stash growth...

...resulting in occasional yarn cake precipitation from the top shelf of "current WIP" closet. "Current" being defined as: no need to pull down the attic steps or crawl about in cat hair underneath the bed.

It's been a fun week so far, starting with a Monday evening knitting guild meeting, which was preceded by a visit to LYS and the addition of some Habu 100% silk that has been calling my name. Karen Levine from Heartfelt Knits demonstrated her bramble stitch at the guild meeting. Here's a picture of the stitch sample done in the Habu silk (sorry, it's not a good shot of the stitching). I love that yarn! It's very stiff, almost like a linen or hemp, so it holds the stitches beautifully. Karen used the bramble stitch in the center of a scarf, but I can also see it as an edging, or transition between the body and hem of a garment. The Habu silk is beautiful, but not suited for a garment unless it's combined with another softer yarn, or made into a jacket (IMHO). I don't know what it will become, but I, of course, had to have it!

Tuesday night was Happy Hour with the work crew. No need to elaborate on that. Except to say that on my way out (I was the first to leave) my heel slipped on the slippery hardwood floor and I went down, to the general amusement of the bar crowd and loud guffaws of my work mates. Brilliant! The funny part (to me) was that I jumped back up, with hands overhead in the universal "I'm good" position, and strode confidently out the door because I was so afraid people would think I fell due to overconsumption.

On Wednesday night there was a cotton Yarn Tasting at another LYS. It's a fun way to meet other local knitters and have a "hands on" experience with a some new yarns.We came away with a shopping tote and a knitted shopping bag made from our yarn samples.
Once again I imbibed in some Habu yarn, this time Gear Linen,
which is VERY stiff and should make an interesting purse or bag. I also added to the library: One Skein by Leigh Radford of IK.

Last night was an exercise night, because the stash closet isn't the only place that's got some extra junk in the trunk (if you get my drift). I do wish I could master the art of knitting while speed-walking. Maybe on a treadmill, but definitely not on the street, which is where I usually walk. Have I mentioned I have a history of falling? My friend N, who knits only occasionally, and who attended the Yarn Harlot event with me here in Pittsburgh, has asked me to help her pick out yarn, pattern, and needles to knit socks while she is traveling next week. Stephanie, you have another convert. (Another One Bites the Dust playing in my head...)

1 comment:

shopgirl said...

The habu looks dreamy. I got to fondle some of it when I visited yarn shops in New York, and was told that some of their more paper-like yarn gets softer after you wash it. I don't know if that's the kind you've got though. I'm looking forward to seeing what yours turns into!