Thursday, April 5, 2007

By way of introduction

I am a Pisces. This will explain a lot. We are a creative bunch. Artistic, imaginative...okay, some might say dreamers. I have a stash of yarn. And fabric. And dyes, jute, wire, string, ribbon, paint...did I mention lots and lots of yarn? Then there is the sewing machine, the knitting machine, the serger, several cameras—Polaroid, SLR, Rangefinder, digital, all with coordinating film, chemicals, software and printers. Oh! And books, magazines, patterns, designs scrawled on cocktail napkins, not to mention in the pages of my journals. I did say I was a Pisces, no?

I start a lot of projects. They turn out fabulously in my dreams. Every couple of years I finish something. But hey, I have a lot of stuff going on; there’s the whole full-time job thing. That can eat up a good ten, twelve hours a day. Then there's the two hours a day spen
t reading other people's blogs, and marveling at how talented and prolific a people you all are. So instead of gettin' busy on some of my UFO's I am writing about them. Here. But you understand all that. Perhaps even wonder when I am going to stop chatting and start showing you the goods; after all, you've shown me yours.

Uh-kay. Here goes.


This is Venus from Rowan's A Midas Touch boo
k(let)
for their Glimmer Print yarn. I'm using a cotton from
THE STASH whose name has long since
been lost. You can't tell in the photo, but the shade is a lovely light blue. She's my project of the moment. The lower body is knit sideways in one piece.


Interesting, be
cause the body on this sweater from Yarnplay is knit the same way. It's knit in Noro Kureyon in a green/blue/brown colorway. Here is the back, still in process (of course). We had a good run, she and I, through the pre-Christmas gift knitting season. She really thought we would make it through to the end. Maybe, for just a moment, I did too. But alas, she waits for me in the attic cedar closet, just another UFO.


I was hot and heavy into socks for a bit this year, having completed of yummy pair of alpaca boot socks for a "special" friend's Christmas gift, with great success. Not sayin' whether the success was in the sock-making or in the recipient's reaction, but the first words he spo
ke (after "these are great!") were, "how should I wash them?" Yeah, I know--a keeper. Here's one sock (on the left), knit down to the finely turned heel, using dreamy Claudia Handpaint sock yarn in Passion Fruit with a simple Lorna's Laces pattern. The picture doesn't do justice to the beautiful striping. The pair were actually destined to be "pedicure socks" for my sister's birthday in March. Yeah.



I was knitting this green sock (on the right) when the Goddess who is Yarn Harlot came to speak in Pittsburgh. It is made using Jitterbug, which I lllove to handle. Rrr, rrrufff, rufff, rrrr...oh, sorry! The photo does no justice to the rockin' green shade!


Then there's the Debbie Bliss ribbed card
igan with ruffles from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2003, knit with Debbie Bliss wool cotton.
I have ripped this one out three times--once, when the back was almost complete. (I have trouble
estimating my true measurements.)
This one would have fit
Gov. Arnold back in the "juicy" days.



Here's the Debbie Bliss pattern for Noro (I dunno--

one of the Noro books) made with Kureyon. It's done. Two more rows on the left sleeve and off the needles! Sew her up, already Knitizen!
Nah, she's been two years in the bag. Literally. Wait! I just noticed the body on this one is knit sideways too! Are you sensing a trend?




Finally, here's a beginner's project from quite a few decades, I
mean, years ago. Look at those cables! I think it was abandoned because I ran into technical difficulty with the decreases on the chart. I didn't even know how to read a chart back then! Thinking it will make a lovely little bag or something. This really should not be wasted!


Well, hey! Great having your company whilst strolling through the UFO closet. I still have time to knit a few rows on Venus before lights out.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You are pretty amazing to have created all of this. Very impressive work. Creative, artistic, expressive. Did you happen to be acquainted with Carol Titus? She, her friends, and her daughter, did a lot of art work with fabrics.

What a wonderful way to share your gift! The internet. Don't you love it?